The Course: Sunset Ridge Country Club
Location: Northfield, IL
Founded in 1923, Sunset Ridge features a course designed by Bill Diddel, a noted golf course architect and one of the founding members of the American Society of Golf Course Architects. A protégé of the legendary Donald Ross and a mentor to Pete Dye, Diddel’s design at Sunset Ridge features several signature elements including fast greens with subtle contours that create both challenging and beautiful putting surfaces.
The course was renovated in 2006 by Rick Jacobson, whose work at Sunset Ridge garnered acclaim from publications such as Golf Magazine. The magazine voted Sunset Ridge “No. 1 Private Course Renovation in the USA” that year.
Sunset Ridge has hosted several prestigious championships including:
- 2018 Western Amateur – Cole Hammer
- 1972 Western Open – Jim Jamieson
- 1961 Women’s Western Junior – Ann Baker
- 1953 Women’s Western Junior – Anne Richardson
- 1942 Women’s Western Amateur – Betty Jameson
- 1936 Western Junior – Sid Richardson
- 1935 Women’s Western Open – Opal Hill